Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blame Facebook, Not Obama

Recently, I was out to dinner with my friend while I was in Chicago.

Our conversation went a little like this:

Him: My friends, *Dick and *Jane, they have this...

Me: Oh, I totally know them! I saw them on your FB page. She is REALLY pretty! Is that weird?

Him: No, I totally stalk your FB page, too. It's fine.

Me: Okay, good.

So it made me think... Facebook has seriously taken over the world. As awkward as this particular situation was not, it seems so bizarre to me to know so much about other people who I have very little personal contact with and care so little about. Not you, Clint...you know you're the best thing that ever came out of Facebook to me and you're now on my Top 5 Favorite Men In My Life list. And if you ever quit Facebook, I will never be the same. 

It made me wonder what if I ran into someone who I am really not friends with, never was, but have been acquainted somehow in the past, and now I know from their status updates that they just had their 15th child, beat cancer, just redesigned their kitchen, and is contemplating getting a new family pet.

"Hi, I know everything about you, more than I have ever known even when and if we ever were real friends so hey, good luck with everything, way to go, and congratulations!"

I mean, it's kind of weird.

Is conversation going to become extinct? Between texting, emailing, and Facebooking, who needs to talk? How many times, in conversation, do you hear or say, "Oh I know, I saw it on Facebook." Well, what in the hell is there to talk about now???

I realize that due to everyone being so busy that this has become the best way to keep updated with your friends and family, and also, living so far away from my friends and family, it's a great tool for me. I get it. I will also say that there are several people who I haven't been great friends with in the past, but I thoroughly enjoy now.


I am not being a Facebook hater, I appreciate it for so many reasons. I mean, I really don't know what I would do without all of those quotes people put in their statuses. I often wonder if they have one of those "rip off the day" calendars they are reading from. Listen, I expect this from some people because that's who they are, but hey, Confucius, if you don't have anything to say, then just be quiet. It's okay. No one will forget about you.

*Names have been changed due to lack of remembering their real names. Okay, not really, I'm just pretending I forgot. I know their names and their kid's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment