Sunday, October 3, 2010

I want my puppy back.

This past week has been full of adventure, fun, excitement, dread, and sadness. I know! Busy! I actually wasn't going to write about any of it because it's too much, but then I mowed the grass and crazy things happen in my head when I get behind that lawnmower.

If you saw my yard, you would understand. It now looks like a collage of grids. I don't even care.

I was in Chicago for work this past week. That, in itself makes me appreciative. I appreciate the work, and I appreciate being in one of my fave cities. A super huge added bonus is that I get to reunite with my friends. Little makes me happier.

While I was gone, Scott found a puppy. I'm not a dog person. I'm not an indoor animal person at all actually. So I knew that when I got home I would have the task of finding this puppy a home or taking him to the no-kill shelter. I got home Thursday afternoon and Scott was leaving on Friday for the weekend. This puppy took to me like I was his mother. He loved me. I took him everywhere with me...partially because I wanted to find him a home, partially because I didn't want him making a mess at my home, and partially because it was kind of fun to have him around. And he was SO good, it was easy. Well, as easy as carting around a 6 yr old, 20 mo old, and new puppy can be. If only I could have put Olivia on a leash.

Saturday morning, Emma had a football game for which she had to cheer. Naturally...actually, not-so-naturally, I brought the puppy with us. I met this couple who was really interested in the puppy, live on the water, and have lots of land...perfect space for this dog, really. They gave me their phone number had I decided to give the puppy up. I went home, talked to Scott and Emma, and met the new owners an hour later.

I got back in the car, and Emma was very upset. I felt terrible. I felt bad for her, bad for me, and bad for the dog. He REALLY liked me. And I liked him way more than I ever expected. I was his favorite. I'm no one's favorite. Everyone in this house likes Scott the best.

The next obvious thing was to get mad at Scott for bringing home a puppy, going out of town, and leaving me with the responsibility of figuring out what to do with him. Thanks, Scott. Now we're all attached to a puppy that's going to grow to be bigger than me. I know I made the sensible decision, but I still feel awful. 

Finally, I'm someone's favorite and I gave him away.

No comments:

Post a Comment