Thursday, November 5, 2009

Facebook Friends

I think it's time for a little Facebook etiquette check.  I'm noticing that more and more people have their parents, namely mothers, as "friends" on FB. That's cool, but for me, it makes me look bad. I don't think it's appropriate for my mother to "watch" everything that goes on between my friends and I.  I've also noticed people have their in-laws as friends. Brothers/sisters in laws are fine. But I think a line needs to be drawn when it comes to mother-in-laws. Do you really want your mother-in-law to read (or see pictures!) about the drunken weekend you had and thus, struggled to get up with her grandchildren in the morning? Do you want her to comment or "like" every single little thing you say about her son or grandkids?  I know it's awkward to "ignore" those people you don't want to be your FB friend, but let me tell you, once you start, it's not all that bad! It's a little liberating to check those people off your friend request list. Let them sit there for a few days if you need. One day you'll feel at ease and "ignore" them like they never even existed. And here's the best part. They don't know! They don't know that you've ignored them...and chances are, they'll forget they even requested you! When they ask you about it, just tell them you didn't see it....OR....you really rarely get on anymore. They will never know. 

I did it to my own mom. Twice. I didn't lie either, actually. I told my mom the truth. I talk to her 5 times a day and really, anything I put on FB, she will most likely already know about. So, see, there was no need to be FB friends. Done.

So, please, just say no. Just say no to those unwanted FB guests. I really hate having to censor myself when I think a mother or father could be "watching." 

~Facebook Big Brother...err...Sister

3 comments:

  1. I'm assuming I'm part of your muse to write this entry, as my mother-in-law is a friend on FB. I have to tell you, although I was hesitant at first, it really doesn't bother me at all. I rarely find myself having to censor anything, because I either don't act in a way that would shameful, or on the other end, she's an adult and can handle it. She's been in attendance and witnessed any sloppy nights I've had (who hasn't?) and accepts me all the same. Best of all, I like her to see pics of my boys and make comments. Since they are long distance, staying in touch via Facebook is a really great alternative. She's "seeing" us a lot more that way and feels much more connected. So, thanks for the advice to ignore. I won't use it on family, but I will not hesitate to use it on other people who truly aren't friends! For instance, I like to keep that borderline for any customers of mine. I definitely don't need them seeing my personal life on a daily basis. I got a friend request today from an adviser, and I'm debating on whether to tell her straight up my policy, or give some of the white lies you mentioned in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childhood puritan church friends make up a good portion of my friends. They talk funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree more. That is not the kind of facebook page I run. Which is exactly why my aunt (who I don't like at all anyway) is sitting in my friend request box and she shall linger there for all eternity. I look at it every once in awhile to relive the absolute indignation that she would even think we would be fb friends. If she ever asks me, I will stare her in the eye and tell her I'm not on facebook. And I'll just keep saying it until she walks away.

    ReplyDelete