Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pay it forward

This morning I was at the market. That alone makes me happy. While I was shopping the fresh produce, I got a phone call from my friend, Kim. She started telling me that a lady cut her off this morning and sped up to get in front of her. Typically, Kim is a hot head. She will punch a bitch out. And that she didn't get out of the car and tell this woman off is something I haven't wrapped my head around yet. Uncharacteristically, she nicely motioned the woman on, letting her know it's fine. The lady ended up in front of her in the drive thru line at Starbucks. When Kim got to the window to pay, the cashier let her know that the woman in front of her paid for hers. Unbelievable. See what happens when you're patient? And then the guy from the market carried my bags to my car.

Her story reminded me of my experience yesterday. I was driving out of a neighborhood onto a busy street. All of a sudden there was a little Honda Accord tightly on my ass. Whoops.  Sorry, dude. Didn't realize you were going 100 mph. He drives closely behind me and fine...whatever. But he wouldn't give it up. We came to a stoplight and he stops super close behind me. I was 1 millisecond from jumping out of my car and ripping his little 20 year old head off and punting it across the field. Where in the hell can this little punk be in such a hurry to get to. Not to mention there were cars in front of me as well. If I didn't have Olivia in my car, I would have gotten out and told that little asshole to fucking relax.

Whoops...the point of this story was to remind everyone it pays to be nice.

There, Kim. I did it for you.

2 comments:

  1. Sure I believe you when you say it pays to be nice........although it hurts like hell biting my tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...guess this idea didn't occur to the guy who flipped me the bird from his sunroof yesterday, and I didn't even realize I was going slower than him when he passed me on the interstate.

    ReplyDelete