Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Not the Brady Bunch

Last night the Teen Choice Awards were on. We weren't home so I didn't get to watch them.

Just kidding! Thank GOD for DVR! Someone was thinking ahead when they saw the Bachelor Pad was going to be on at the same time as Teen Choice Awards and marked them both for recording. Yay...me!

So last night as I lay in bed watching Katy Perry and the babes from Glee, Scott came in and saw that I was watching an awards show. He sat down to watch and then said to me, "Oh my gosh, are you watching Teen Choice Awards?"

"Yeah, so?"

"You're 34 years old. Or are you?" (Just last week I told Scott I would have a 35th bday party for him for his birthday in May. He's already 35. I thought I was still 33 and him, 34. Hence, his joke. Whoops.) (And I wasn't really going to have a bday part for him anyway.) Then he says, "Hey, there's that gay kid from Glee. I have no idea who that girl is with him though."

"That's Katy Perry." Seriously. How does he not know who Katy Perry is.

"That's her? That song about LA girls is so stupid."

"It's California Girls and I love it."

"You know what song that's on the radio a lot right now is that Eminem song with Brianna."

"Rihanna"

"Eminem and Brianna." Now he's pronouncing the "a" differently.

"It's Rihanna"

"Brianna"

"Scott, there's no "B"...it's RI-hanna. Maybe you should be watching this with me."

"Rihanna? Really? Who cares. She's a nobody. She hardly even has any hit songs. She's always just WITH someone. With Jay-Z, with Eminem..."

"Ugh. Have you heard the song Umbrella, Scott?" It's the only one I could think of at the time, under pressure.

"Who cares. I'm going to sleep."

THIS is what I'm dealing with.

I am addicted to TV. It's no doubt and I am really starting to acknowledge that it's a problem. I am not happy unless I have a TV show to look forward to that night. I'm not proud of myself. I have two children, for crying out loud, and sometimes I put them to bed earlier than normal just so I have no distractions.

But now Scott and his judgment are becoming a distraction. The other night I was having a Glee marathon and he started watching with me. At one point, he started to disapprove, but by the 3rd episode, he was hooked and made me promise to not tell anyone. By the 4th or 5th episode, he said he wasn't going to watch anymore and that the show was so stupid. Which it's clearly not.

I think that he likes that I watch these stupid shows so that he gets to watch them, too, and take no responsibility for it.

Always one step ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment