Sunday, August 9, 2009

Too hot for teacher


This week I met Emma's teachers. It's very sad to me that she is going to be in school everyday all day for the next 13 years. Our life as we have known it is changing. Sometimes (most of the time) I'm not that good with conforming so this is going to be a challenge, not only for her, but for me also. Emma is not very excited about this school thing. She said all she wants is to be a rockstar and to slide down from the top of the rainbow. So, see, she really doesn't need school. I hated school...so I feel her pain. She has to go though. It's either that or she lives with me forever, doesn't grow, and we end up on Dr Phil. And I really can't stand that guy. So anyway, I was getting ready to go to the parents only meeting and Emma is following me around the house and into the bathroom. "Mom, wait, stop! I want you to wear that dress! And put your hair down." What?! The 5 yr old is concerned about the way I'm going to look when I go to meet her teachers!!! I have done everything right with this girl. I tell her I AM wearing the dress and yes, I am planning on doing my hair - we had been swimming that day so I didn't think looking like a hot mess was the way I wanted to start off with her kindergarten teachers. So I fixed my hair, put some bracelets and earrings on and was ready...with her approval. Jesus. As I drove to the school by myself I started getting terrible anxiety about the way I looked! I started to fear that maybe it was too much...I don't want to look like a hussy! My dress was absolutely not too short though and was not revealing in any kind of way. Hair - tousled and although it took a lot of work, looked like it didn't - perfect. Jewelry - just enough, not too much. What if the other mothers don't like me? What if the teachers judge Emma based on me? Well, obviously they will anyway, but I want it to be a GOOD judgment. I was short of breathe and felt like it was my first day of college. Did Emma do this to me? Did her judgment on me make me feel more self conscious? Was it you, baby tiger? I don't know, but I haven't felt like that in a LONG time. Perhaps, it was the whole idea of her going to school, the new responsibilities, the new relationships, and of course, first impressions. Anyway, I walked into her classroom, met her teachers and then sat in the mini chair at the mini table for the parents meeting. My seat? In the front. Fortunately, I was over it all the minute I stepped in to the classroom. The anticipation is always the biggest part. Just like Christmas...the exciting part is the month leading up to it. The actual day is usually a bore. So I walked out of there feeling good about it and both excited and nervous for Emma. She has to wear uniforms to school - blue, beige, and white. Those colors are awful and if she was worried about my appearance, she is going to HATE what she has to wear. I also walked out of there something I never, ever dreamed I would be. Are you ready for this? I. Am the room mother. I have no idea what that means, but it was one of a few things to sign up for by the time the sign up sheet got to me. I think it's pretty important though. It was the first thing on the list and only space enough for one parent. Shit.

2 comments:

  1. I am comforted to know that Emma has your back and that I am in your head. Who wouldn't want fashion advice from a 5 year old that wants to slide down a rainbow? Your look sounded perfect for mini chair sitting. Can't wait to hear about all the Room Mom outfits you will come up with! Zowie.

    Is one allowed to accessorize the ugly school uniform? I'm concerned for her fashion future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are going to f*cking kill yourself for signing up as room mother...

    ReplyDelete