Sunday, August 30, 2009

Are you there God? It's me, Emma...you know the one who doesn't like you.

I really am not ready to discuss the God thing with Emma. I don't know what to believe myself, let alone teach her. So we have avoided it altogether. That IS the parental thing to do. Today she decided to go to church with her aunt. She works in the daycare there so I figured no harm.

Wrong.

Reportedly, they gave a little handout with pictures to the kids and told a story about God. EMMA PUTS HER HANDS OVER HER EARS while the story is being told. Katie asked Emma why she is putting her hands on her ears and Emma responded that she doesn't like the story and doesn't like the people. So tonight I asked Emma why she didn't like the story. She had two answers. First, she doesn't like the clothes they were wearing. Secondly, she doesn't like God because she doesn't like how he looks.
Unconvincingly, I explained that that's all they had to wear back then and it's not nice to not like God because he gave her life (nevermind my 9 mos of hell) and gave us the trees and everything in the world. Now...I don't know that I believe this so I wasn't really sure why I was telling her this. I guess I feel like 5 yrs old might be a little young to become an atheist and anything else might be too confusing. 
The moral of my story ended up being that we don't not like people based on how they look because we're all the same on the inside. Which I absolutely do believe. Pretty much anyway. 
I must tell you what happened to me last week. I've had a metal cross/crucifix that has hung on my wall throughout my childhood. Well, I unpacked  it and it was broken which is weird since it's metal. So I left it somewhere...I can't remember. I found it last week and it was FIXED!!! It was so bizarre. I tried to take it apart...I pulled it, twisted it, swung it around, and it was definitely not coming apart. I fix everything in this house so I knew Scott wouldn't have touched it. Especially since it is a crucifix...he doesn't usually have much to do with stuff like that. So for a few days, I started thinking "There is a God!" and was completely freaked out. Finally, I asked Scott about it. He glued it. Unbelievable. He never does stuff like that. Freaking figures. He ruins everything.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I could repair your distrust and void in your heart. What happened to that teenage girl at Frontier? If you were still here, I'd take you to Heartland and you would be inspired and renewed. But God is definitely always there for you, whether you decide to turn your back on Him or walk with Him. I hope and pray you come to this belief sooner than later, as your life will have more joy and clarity than you could have ever imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... what the hell... he had to go and ruin everything... You had me ready to go buy a bible there for a minute... I was starting to become a firmer believer.... thanks Scott

    ReplyDelete