Thursday, January 14, 2010

Budget update

It's Thursday, and I still have almost all of my money! I can't believe it. Although I have spent almost all of the Target/grocery money.  And I found an extra $15. On Tuesday, I dropped off my jeans to be altered so I have to pay for that today, which will cut my money in half. I also had to decide to wait to get my other pants altered. I would have spent nearly my whole budget just at the tailor!

I'm doing surprisingly well, but it stresses me out. This budget kind of puts me in a bad mood. Yesterday, Scott was questioning me about the grocery money. He apparently doesn't trust me and thinks I'm going to try to STEAL from the grocery envelope. He wants to see receipts. I want to tell him to F off.

So guess what. A few days ago I lied to him about something. As soon as I said it, I was laughing, but he thought I was laughing about something else. I couldn't wait for the moment to tell him the truth just to see the look on his face. I thought I would tell him the next day, but I was getting so much enjoyment out of it.  So this morning he called and he was being super obnoxious again and laughing at my expense (and at his own jokes, which were totally not funny). The timing couldn't have been more perfect and I decided to tell him about my lie.

He hung up on me. While I was laughing.

I may not be able to manage money, but I will always get the last laugh.

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up! You will be amazed by how much you save in 6 months! It was the best thing we have ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that not only is this a great way to get finances in order, my favorite perk to this envelope system is that you don't have to go through a billion receipts when balancing the checkbook! Since I am the CFO of the house, I DETESTED doing the checkbook for this reason. Once we started operating with cash on non-fixed expenses, it made life so much easier! And not to mention, a great way to save for the more fun things in life! One last tidbit...the founder of the system says that it takes a good couple of months to make this work and be successful at it. Expect some failures and slip-ups, but don't give up! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been putting off budgeting for years. I think if I just relied on the numbers I wouldn't be able to pay my bills. However, somehow they get paid and I have new shoes. So be it. Thank you for blogging about your experience. I'm going to continue not budgeting because I don't want to be angry.

    ReplyDelete