Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Your kid may be an honor student, but mine is a fashion guru at 5.

Today is the first day back to school after 2 weeks off. I was anticipating it to be one of the worst days of the year. Turns out, it may have just been one of the best. 

Emma is an absolute BEAR in the morning. I actually find myself holding my breathe when I'm trying to wake her up. After two weeks of sleeping in, I knew she would be especially grouchy this morning. The alarm went off at 6:10 (I couldn't decide between 6 and 6:15 and we all know that every minute counts when it's still dark outside). I was just about to turn over and tell Scott to get up and turn the alarm off when I realized that, ugh, it was mine after all, and Scott was long gone, probably already at work.

As I'm getting Emma ready for school, she is surprisingly pleasant and all is going well. She wears a uniform so getting dressed is usually pretty easy on school days, and I had already prepped her for the pants she was going to have to wear since it's too cold to wear a skirt. Brown socks...fine. She was going to wear her brown mary janes, so all was good. Then, she decides she wants to wear her new Skechers gym shoes. Okay, great, let's put those on. So we put them on and I'm thinking, "Ugh, I would never wear brown socks with gym shoes, but she's 5 and no one will probably even see them."

Then, Emma says, "Wait. Do these even look cute? With my brown socks? Oh, I don't think it looks cute with my brown socks."

I smiled with absolute pride and we changed her socks. School has taught her to read and spell this year, but I really don't think anything can top this.

1 comment:

  1. If I weren't still alive I would swear I had been reincarnated as Emma. The god stuff, the fashion,the crabby mornings. We are the same person! I do realize I am complimenting myself a great deal here. I just love her/me!

    ReplyDelete