Saturday, October 3, 2009

Moonwalking

I bought Michael Jackson's "Number Ones" CD last night. I was pretty excited about it. I've been waiting for a CD like this to come out. Maybe it's been out all along and I never knew it, but this is the first I've seen of it. I snatched it up, quickly scanned the list of songs and threw it in my shopping basket. I started walking away and then BAM. Madonna has come out with a best hits CD too! Where have I been??? A time long ago I knew when new music was coming out. I guess I'm over that stage now, but two greats have greatest hits. I grabbed the CD, scanned the song list and contemplated, both, Madonna, or Michael. I put Madonna back and stuck with my first instinct. So today I was listening to my new CD. I can't even tell you the last time I bought a new CD. It was a little weird. And at first I was a little disappointed. I knew all of the songs, but it didn't give me the feelings I was hoping to have upon hearing his voice or the familiar groundbreaking songs of my youth. It's not a CD I want to listen to over and over again. Then again, I bore easily of most everything in my life....and I'm pretty sure I'm dead inside, so is this a huge surprise? Probably not.

Then, came on Smooth Criminal. It reminded me of a dance I did when I was 16 for either a recital or competition. Of course I can't remember, and even more disappointing I can't remember a single thing about the dance. The song made me want to grab a hat, straddle a chair and rock my head though. I'm sure this looks better in my imagination than it would in real life. I also wondered if I would hit my mouth on the back of the chair while really rocking my head back and forth. Kinda makes me cringe because I think it would really hurt, and it's entirely possible that could happen.
But finally, a song that made me want to move. That's what I loved about Michael Jackson.


Then, another song came on. "I just can't stop loving you." The rawness of his voice is nothing short of beautiful. It captured my heart, my emotion (what I have anyway), and I heard a tenderness about Michael that I think the world has missed way before he died. I love music with no stuff in the background. Miley Cyrus even sings a song that I actually kind of enjoy because she didn't have all that garbage going in the background. It sounds fresh, and at the risk of repeating myself, raw. I don't know how else to explain it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen! Adri told me you have a blog and I'm rather new to this whole blogosphere thing, so I'm checking you out! :o)
    You're funny and do a good job with your writing. And I'm a Language Arts teacher who's hard to impress! I can totally imagine you saying what you're writing - so your personality really comes through.

    I so remember a lot of dance routines at Forest Hills a la MJ! I think "Miss Teddi" would have loved to have been his water boy! I'm trying to remember that kid who thought he was MJ. He turned out to be a loser, but he was a pretty good dancer and looked a lot like MJ. I even remember doing Thriller at the now-deceased Machesney Mall. How embarassing, but it was fun. Good memories.

    Hey - by the way, I am "overly religious" but not faint-hearted or easily offended, so can I still read your blog? ha

    Hugs,
    Amy MacAdam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy! I've been thinking about you. Emma started kindergarten this year, and now I understand why people home school their children.

    Oh, Miss Teddi...MJ and Madonna were her peeps, weren't they. She even had the Madonna "Papa Don't Preach" hair style.

    Thanks for the kudos. I hope you enjoy it and are never offended!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh rats. I thought I would get a little email notice if you responded like on FB, but alas I had to do the hard work of checking in on you again.

    You do such a good job of keeping up on your writing. I tried a blog a year ago or so, but the laundry or the dinner or the errands or the essays needing to be graded or.... won out. Sigh. Maybe someday I can collect my thoughts.

    Sorry school has been a bit of a disappointment for you for Emma. It is not uncommon.

    Just read your thing about Zumba. I laughed to myself b/c I thought you were talking about that vacuum robot thing at first. I thought, "wow, this girl REALLY likes a clean carpet!!"
    Wonder if Rockbottom has Zumba... I want to try it out! This ol' girl still has some moves in her somewhere!

    No worries - you can't offend me. Too secure in my views. :o)

    Do you have a twang in your voice yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will LOVE Zumba, not Roomba, although I'm sure that little vacuum can be fulfilling in some ways, too. http://search.zumba.com/classes
    You have to try it!!
    It's a bit of a challenge finding time to blog, but my thoughts weigh heavily in my head so it actually helps when I get them out and then it only takes a few minutes to write. Just get one built and then writing is the easy part. I so wish there was some notice to let me know when people comment. This old fashioned searching stuff is a lot of work!
    No twang, but I do have to repeat myself a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete