Thursday, April 22, 2010

No respect

My house has been where it's at with the 8 and under crowd. It's cool, I guess. No one's killing each other, or more importantly, demanding anything of me. Yesterday, the girls across the street were over playing with Emma. Before long, it was a full out party running through my house as all the kids congregated to the noisy house. I opened the back door and, like flies, they flew out the door.

Perfect.

And then the creep behind us climbed over the fence and ruined the party. I gave the girls water guns and a bucket of water to fill their own weapons as needed. It worked. And then the boys came back with bigger guns. Bastards. Suddenly, it was boys against girls. Damn. Sorry, girls...I got you set up and now you're on your own. But then I realized that the bucket of water is in my house. They're all right in front of me, looking at the bucket, laughing and bickering.

"You gotta get the bucket out of the house."

Blank stares.
"Am I speaking Japanese? Hey, take the bucket outside, please!"
And the oldest girl of the group, 2nd grader, a girl after my own heart says, "Does anyone hear her? Get the bucket!"
Still nothing.
So, teeth clenched, growling, I try one more time, "Get. The. Buckeeeet."

Emma....looks at her friends, shrugs her shoulders, and says, "That's what she does. She does that all the time."

Really, Emma? Well, clearly I don't beat you all the time. How about if I start doing that.

1 comment:

  1. I always tell Payton and Owen I am going to beat them. They just laugh at me. I would like some respect too!!!

    ReplyDelete