Monday, February 22, 2010

The mommy on the bus says, "Ew, ew, ew."

Today I went with Emma and her class to a field trip to Sea, Sand, and Stars in Orange Beach. It's at the school in OB, and has a planetarium, aquarium, and other sciencey stuff.  Very cool if you're into that kind of stuff.

I. Am not.

Her teacher told me I could ride the bus with them, along with one other class, and the other parents that went on the field trip, too. I thought I was going to have a panic attack. There were 40 5 and 6 year olds on the bus, and it took a little less than 45 minutes to get there by school bus. Emma and I sat in the very back, which was good because it meant no midgets jumping up behind me, coughing, sneezing, yelling, or breathing on me. A lake of Purell couldn't have even helped me. I was nauseous immediately.

As if the bus ride wasn't bad enough, "Sea, Sand, and Stars" is full of aquariums, closed and open. I hate fish. I hate anything marine life. On a girls cruise to Jamaica one year, a friend signed us up for snorkeling. I would rather camp in a tent than swim with fish. I was the only one NOT looking at the fish, and making sure no sharks were headed our way. I waded violently to be sure the fish knew I was a moving creature and not to come close. Later I learned that sharks see that as an injured fish to prey on. Whatever. Note taken.

Everyone loved this trip. It was a really great experience for normal people. I was impressed with the knowledge of these 5 year olds regarding the planets, space, marine life, the solar system, etc. My own, even, started to name the planets to me.

"There's Mercury, Earth, Pluto, but Pluto isn't a planet anymore. And then there's Vegas and..."
"What?"
"Vegas."
"I think it's Venus."
"Oh yeah...Venus."

What's that about great minds...

No comments:

Post a Comment